In Gold Coast City, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Gold Coast City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||54,678||23.2||25.1||39,452||19.4||21.5||+15,226|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||29,733||12.6||10.9||22,209||10.9||9.3||+7,524|
|Certificate I and II Level||2,824||1.2||1.3||2,947||1.4||1.5||-123|
|Certificate III & IV Level||52,200||22.2||23.0||43,177||21.2||21.6||+9,023|
|Certificate Level, nfd||5,690||2.4||2.0||3,896||1.9||1.7||+1,794|
|Inadequately described or not stated||6,915||2.9||2.7||8,964||4.4||3.8||-2,049|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Gold Coast City in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 61.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 35.4% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.2% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.6% compared to 10.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (22.2% compared to 23.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (35.4% compared to 35.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Gold Coast City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+15,226 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+9,023 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+7,524 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+1,794 local workers)