In Gold Coast City, 18.4% of workers were Professionals, compared to 19.9% in Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Gold Coast City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Gold Coast City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Gold Coast City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||32,110||13.6||14.2||28,515||14.0||14.9||+3,595|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||29,062||12.3||11.4||22,898||11.2||10.0||+6,164|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||33,172||14.1||13.7||30,868||15.2||14.7||+2,304|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||12,592||5.3||6.9||10,525||5.2||7.3||+2,067|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3,952||1.7||1.6||3,737||1.8||1.8||+215|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Gold Coast City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (43,355 local workers or 18.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (33,172 local workers or 14.1%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (32,110 local workers or 13.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 108,637 people in total or 46.1% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.9% as Professionals; 13.7% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 14.2% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (12.6% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.3% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (18.4% compared to 19.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.3% compared to 11.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Gold Coast City between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+7,520 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+6,164 local workers)
- Managers (+3,931 local workers)
- Labourers (+3,616 local workers)