Gold Coast City
Resident workers - Qualifications
39.1% of the resident workers in Gold Coast City have qualifications, compared to 39.3% for Queensland.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Gold Coast City's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Gold Coast City||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||59,652||22.9||25.1||44,338||19.1||21.5||+15,314||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||33,100||12.7||10.9||25,348||10.9||9.3||+7,752||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||2,988||1.1||1.3||3,260||1.4||1.5||-272||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||60,814||23.3||23.0||52,028||22.5||21.6||+8,786||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||6,196||2.4||2.0||4,395||1.9||1.7||+1,801||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||7,621||2.9||2.7||10,052||4.3||3.8||-2,431||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in Gold Coast City in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), as well as a similar proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 39.1% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 34.6% had no qualifications, compared with 39.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (12.7% compared to 10.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (22.9% compared to 25.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in Gold Coast City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+15,314 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+8,786 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+7,752 people )
- No qualifications (-2,040 people )