39.1% of All industries local workers in Gold Coast City are employed part-time and 59.1% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Gold Coast City across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Gold Coast City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||28,224||12.0||11.0||24,451||12.0||10.5||+3,773|
|16 hours - 24 hours||24,958||10.6||9.4||20,781||10.2||8.9||+4,177|
|25 hours - 34 hours||32,464||13.8||12.0||26,539||13.0||10.9||+5,925|
|35 hours - 39 hours||45,485||19.3||19.3||36,345||17.8||18.3||+9,140|
|41 hours - 48 hours||19,913||8.5||9.4||18,964||9.3||10.6||+949|
|49 hours or more||33,624||14.3||16.4||31,301||15.4||18.5||+2,323|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Gold Coast City in 2016 compared to Queensland within Gold Coast City shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.1% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 59.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.9% and 62.3% respectively for Queensland within Gold Coast City.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.6% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.8% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.5% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.3% compared to 16.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Gold Coast City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+9,140 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+5,925 local workers)
- 40 hours (+5,777 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+4,177 local workers)