Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Gold Coast City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Gold Coast City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Gold Coast City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Gold Coast City - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,337||0.4||2.6||1,295||0.5||2.8||+42|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||2,090||0.7||1.2||1,520||0.6||1.1||+570|
|Accommodation and Food Services||27,193||8.9||7.2||25,240||9.7||7.3||+1,953|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||11,116||3.6||4.7||9,844||3.8||5.1||+1,272|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||4,042||1.3||1.0||4,052||1.6||1.2||-10|
|Financial and Insurance Services||7,969||2.6||2.6||6,709||2.6||2.5||+1,260|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||7,893||2.6||1.8||7,719||3.0||2.0||+174|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||20,175||6.6||6.7||15,980||6.1||6.3||+4,195|
|Administrative and Support Services||12,044||3.9||3.4||11,311||4.3||3.5||+733|
|Public Administration and Safety||12,572||4.1||6.2||11,074||4.3||6.6||+1,498|
|Education and Training||25,189||8.3||8.8||21,127||8.1||9.0||+4,062|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||45,719||15.0||15.4||32,380||12.4||13.0||+13,339|
|Arts and Recreation Services||8,784||2.9||1.5||7,718||3.0||1.6||+1,066|
|Industry not classified||15,505||5.1||4.5||12,806||4.9||4.3||+2,699|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Gold Coast City in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (45,719 people or 15.0%)
- Construction (34,848 people or 11.4%)
- Retail Trade (31,626 people or 10.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 112,193 people in total or 36.8% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 15.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.1% in Construction and 9.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.4% compared to 9.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.4% compared to 2.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (4.1% compared to 6.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (8.9% compared to 7.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Gold Coast City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+13,339 resident workforce)
- Construction (+4,889 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+4,195 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+4,062 resident workforce)