Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Gold Coast City's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Gold Coast City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Gold Coast City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Gold Coast City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Gold Coast City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,295||0.5||2.8||867||0.3||2.6||+428|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,520||0.6||1.1||1,734||0.7||1.1||-214|
|Accommodation and Food Services||25,240||9.7||7.3||22,326||8.9||6.5||+2,914|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||9,844||3.8||5.1||8,958||3.6||4.9||+886|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||4,052||1.6||1.2||3,917||1.6||1.2||+135|
|Financial and Insurance Services||6,709||2.6||2.5||6,550||2.6||2.5||+159|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||7,719||3.0||2.0||6,359||2.5||1.7||+1,360|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||15,980||6.1||6.3||14,603||5.8||6.1||+1,377|
|Administrative and Support Services||11,311||4.3||3.5||9,210||3.7||3.0||+2,101|
|Public Administration and Safety||11,074||4.3||6.6||9,970||4.0||6.3||+1,104|
|Education and Training||21,127||8.1||9.0||16,461||6.6||7.4||+4,666|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||32,380||12.4||13.0||25,676||10.3||11.2||+6,704|
|Arts and Recreation Services||7,718||3.0||1.6||6,845||2.7||1.3||+873|
|Industry not classified||12,806||4.9||4.3||6,176||2.5||2.2||+6,630|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Gold Coast City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (32,380 people or 12.4%)
- Construction (29,959 people or 11.5%)
- Retail Trade (29,293 people or 11.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 91,632 people in total or 35.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.0% in Construction and 9.9% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Gold Coast City and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.5% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (9.7% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.5% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (4.3% compared to 6.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Gold Coast City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+6,704 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+6,630 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+4,666 resident workforce)
- Construction (+3,816 resident workforce)