There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Lithgow City Council than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Lithgow City Council 's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Lithgow City Council or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Lithgow City Council , and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Lithgow City Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||62||0.8||2.1||63||0.8||2.0||-1|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,409||18.1||10.4||1,465||18.2||10.8||-56|
|Architecture and Building||284||3.6||4.4||279||3.5||4.1||+5|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||162||2.1||1.5||166||2.1||1.5||-4|
|Management and Commerce||756||9.7||17.1||672||8.3||15.5||+84|
|Society and Culture||533||6.8||8.8||416||5.2||7.6||+117|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||323||4.1||3.3||295||3.7||3.2||+28|
|Mixed Field Programmes||14||0.2||0.1||4||0.0||0.1||+10|
|Not stated or inadequately described||257||3.3||2.7||317||3.9||3.5||-60|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Lithgow City Council shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,409 people or 18.1%)
- Management and Commerce (756 people or 9.7%)
- Society and Culture (533 people or 6.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,698 people in total or 34.6% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 17.1% in Management and Commerce and 8.8% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Lithgow City Council and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (18.1% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (9.7% compared to 17.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (0.6% compared to 3.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (6.8% compared to 8.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Lithgow City Council decreased by 278 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Lithgow City Council was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+117 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+84 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-60 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-56 resident workers)