Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Lithgow City Council residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Lithgow City Council , indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Lithgow City Council are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Lithgow City Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||218||2.8||2.1||216||2.5||2.1||+2|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||283||3.6||0.9||344||4.0||1.0||-61|
|Accommodation and Food Services||701||9.0||7.1||675||7.8||6.3||+26|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||355||4.6||4.7||463||5.3||4.6||-108|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||62||0.8||2.2||51||0.6||2.2||+11|
|Financial and Insurance Services||158||2.0||4.9||133||1.5||4.8||+25|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||104||1.3||1.8||76||0.9||1.5||+28|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||229||2.9||8.1||243||2.8||7.4||-14|
|Administrative and Support Services||264||3.4||3.5||267||3.1||3.1||-3|
|Public Administration and Safety||745||9.6||6.0||677||7.8||5.8||+68|
|Education and Training||500||6.4||8.4||504||5.8||7.5||-4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||906||11.6||12.5||874||10.1||10.9||+32|
|Arts and Recreation Services||89||1.1||1.5||70||0.8||1.4||+19|
|Industry not classified||319||4.1||4.7||168||1.9||2.3||+151|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Lithgow City Council in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (906 people or 11.6%)
- Retail Trade (760 people or 9.7%)
- Public Administration and Safety (745 people or 9.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 2,411 people in total or 30.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 6.0% in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Lithgow City Council and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (8.9% compared to 0.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.9% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (9.6% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.0% compared to 4.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Lithgow City Council were for those employed in:
- Mining (-323 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+151 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-127 resident workforce)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (-108 resident workforce)