North Sydney Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of North Sydney Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|North Sydney Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,079||5.1||12.7||2,011||5.3||13.2||+68|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,402||5.9||10.4||2,239||5.9||9.5||+163|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,100||12.6||13.8||5,342||14.1||15.1||-242|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||358||0.9||6.1||300||0.8||6.4||+58|
|Inadequately described or not stated||685||1.7||1.8||695||1.8||1.8||-10|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in North Sydney Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (17,711 people or 43.8%)
- Managers (8,635 people or 21.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (5,100 people or 12.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 31,446 people in total or 77.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers and 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of North Sydney Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (43.8% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (21.4% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (5.1% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (1.9% compared to 8.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in North Sydney Council area increased by 2,627 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in North Sydney Council area were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,241 persons)
- Managers (+1,011 persons)
- Sales Workers (+245 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-242 persons)