Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Northern Tasmania Region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Northern Tasmania Region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Northern Tasmania Region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Northern Tasmania Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||3,658||6.3||5.3||3,368||5.3||4.5||+290|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||824||1.4||1.6||840||1.3||1.6||-16|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,428||7.6||7.6||4,503||7.0||6.8||-75|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,607||4.5||4.2||2,784||4.3||4.0||-177|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||641||1.1||1.4||708||1.1||1.4||-67|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,345||2.3||2.1||1,655||2.6||2.3||-310|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||763||1.3||1.2||774||1.2||1.2||-11|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,380||4.1||4.7||2,245||3.5||4.4||+135|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,550||2.7||3.0||1,573||2.5||2.5||-23|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,023||5.2||7.8||3,862||6.0||8.4||-839|
|Education and Training||5,401||9.2||9.3||5,441||8.5||8.4||-40|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||8,578||14.7||14.2||7,140||11.1||11.2||+1,438|
|Arts and Recreation Services||978||1.7||1.9||908||1.4||1.5||+70|
|Industry not classified||2,104||3.6||3.4||1,395||2.2||1.8||+709|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Northern Tasmania Region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (8,578 people or 14.7%)
- Retail Trade (6,725 people or 11.5%)
- Education and Training (5,401 people or 9.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 20,704 people in total or 35.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 14.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.9% in Retail Trade and 9.3% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Northern Tasmania Region and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (5.2% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (6.3% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (7.7% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.1% compared to 4.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Northern Tasmania Region were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,563 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,438 resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (-839 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+709 resident workforce)