35.0% of the resident workers (All industries) in Ballina Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Ballina Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Ballina Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Ballina Shire Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,333||13.4||10.8||2,272||13.7||10.4||+61|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,168||12.4||10.4||1,874||11.3||9.7||+294|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,644||15.1||10.5||2,308||13.9||9.8||+336|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,263||18.7||19.1||2,935||17.7||18.2||+328|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,233||7.1||9.1||1,330||8.0||10.0||-97|
|49 hours or more||2,309||13.2||14.9||2,350||14.2||16.4||-41|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Ballina Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.9% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 53.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 31.7% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Ballina Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.4% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (15.1% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.8% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.1% compared to 9.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Ballina Shire increased by 317 people (5.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Ballina Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+336 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+328 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+294 persons)
- None (-134 persons)