Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Ballina Shire’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Ballina Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Ballina Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Ballina Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||773||4.4||2.1||706||4.3||2.2||+67||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||137||0.8||0.9||147||0.9||1.1||-10||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,508||8.6||7.1||1,500||9.0||6.7||+8||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||508||2.9||4.7||483||2.9||4.9||+25||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||169||1.0||2.2||228||1.4||2.3||-59||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||342||2.0||4.9||375||2.3||5.0||-33||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||332||1.9||1.8||301||1.8||1.6||+31||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||941||5.4||8.1||840||5.1||7.9||+101||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||550||3.1||3.5||493||3.0||3.3||+57||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,004||5.7||6.0||943||5.7||6.1||+61||39000||P|
|Education and Training||1,940||11.1||8.4||1,744||10.5||7.9||+196||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,954||16.9||12.5||2,565||15.5||11.6||+389||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||231||1.3||1.5||220||1.3||1.5||+11||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||648||3.7||4.7||275||1.7||2.5||+373||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Ballina Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,954 people or 16.9%)
- Retail Trade (2,032 people or 11.6%)
- Education and Training (1,940 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 6,926 people in total or 39.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade; and 8.4% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Ballina Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (16.9% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (11.1% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.0% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.4% compared to 8.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Ballina Shire were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+389 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+373 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+196 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-160 resident workforce)