In Ballina Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Ballina Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||3,487||23.4||32.6||2,859||19.8||27.9||+628|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,674||11.2||11.1||1,370||9.5||10.5||+304|
|Certificate I and II Level||235||1.6||1.2||285||2.0||1.4||-50|
|Certificate III & IV Level||3,672||24.6||18.7||3,408||23.6||18.8||+264|
|Certificate Level, nfd||416||2.8||2.3||308||2.1||1.9||+108|
|Inadequately described or not stated||442||3.0||2.9||675||4.7||4.5||-233|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Ballina Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.5% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.5% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Ballina Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.4% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.6% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.5% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate Level, nfd (2.8% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Ballina Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+628 local workers)
- No qualification (-529 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+304 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+264 local workers)