In Ballina Shire, 19.9% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.6% in New South Wales.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Ballina Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Ballina Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Ballina Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,983||13.3||12.7||1,960||13.6||13.2||+23|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,959||13.1||10.4||1,761||12.2||9.5||+198|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,721||11.5||13.8||1,796||12.4||15.0||-75|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||717||4.8||6.1||760||5.3||6.4||-43|
|Inadequately described or not stated||221||1.5||1.8||181||1.3||1.8||+40|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Ballina Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (2,971 local workers or 19.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,983 local workers or 13.3%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (1,959 local workers or 13.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,913 people in total or 46.4% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 12.7% as Technicians and Trades Workers and 10.4% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Ballina Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (19.9% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (13.1% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (11.4% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.5% compared to 13.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Ballina Shire between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+350 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+198 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-75 local workers)
- Sales Workers (-74 local workers)