Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in Ballina Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Ballina Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,387||13.7||12.7||2,299||13.9||13.2||+88||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,099||12.0||10.4||1,887||11.4||9.5||+212||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,031||11.6||13.8||2,107||12.7||15.1||-76||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||789||4.5||6.1||799||4.8||6.4||-10||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||292||1.7||1.8||215||1.3||1.8||+77||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Ballina Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (3,895 people or 22.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,387 people or 13.7%)
- Managers (2,295 people or 13.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 8,577 people in total or 49.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of Ballina Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (10.5% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.0% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.6% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.5% compared to 6.1%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Ballina Shire increased by 885 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Ballina Shire were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+502 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+212 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+88 people)
- Labourers (+83 people)