There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in Coffs Harbour City than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Coffs Harbour City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Coffs Harbour City||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,004||13.5||12.7||3,962||14.2||13.2||+42|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,669||12.4||10.4||3,316||11.8||9.5||+353|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,863||13.0||13.8||3,972||14.2||15.1||-109|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,590||5.4||6.1||1,478||5.3||6.4||+112|
|Inadequately described or not stated||508||1.7||1.8||397||1.4||1.8||+111|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Coffs Harbour City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,548 people or 18.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,004 people or 13.5%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (3,863 people or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 13,415 people in total or 45.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Coffs Harbour City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (18.7% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (12.5% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.4% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (10.8% compared to 9.2%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Coffs Harbour City increased by 1,621 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Coffs Harbour City were those employed as:
- Professionals (+566 persons)
- Labourers (+508 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+353 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+112 persons)