Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Coffs Harbour City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Coffs Harbour City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Coffs Harbour City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,063||12.4||11.8||3,515||12.2||12.7||+548|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,716||14.4||10.6||3,727||12.9||10.4||+989|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,206||12.9||13.0||4,017||13.9||13.8||+189|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,540||4.7||6.0||1,471||5.1||6.1||+69|
|Inadequately described or not stated||524||1.6||1.9||477||1.7||1.8||+47|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Coffs Harbour City in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (6,525 local workers or 20.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,716 local workers or 14.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (4,206 local workers or 12.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 15,447 people in total or 47.3% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.9% as Professionals; 10.6% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 13.0% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Coffs Harbour City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (20.0% compared to 25.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.4% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (11.7% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (11.8% compared to 14.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Coffs Harbour City between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+989 local workers)
- Professionals (+971 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+548 local workers)
- Managers (+471 local workers)