Northern Beaches Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in the Northern Beaches Council area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Northern Beaches Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Northern Beaches Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Northern Beaches Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Northern Beaches Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||3,494||2.7||2.1||3,103||2.6||2.0||+391|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||11,215||8.6||10.4||11,325||9.3||10.8||-110|
|Architecture and Building||7,206||5.6||4.4||6,199||5.1||4.1||+1,007|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,831||1.4||1.5||1,638||1.3||1.5||+193|
|Management and Commerce||28,042||21.6||17.1||24,575||20.2||15.5||+3,467|
|Society and Culture||12,838||9.9||8.8||10,875||8.9||7.6||+1,963|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,084||3.1||3.3||3,878||3.2||3.2||+206|
|Mixed Field Programmes||88||0.1||0.1||56||0.0||0.1||+32|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,012||2.3||2.7||3,672||3.0||3.5||-660|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Northern Beaches Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (28,042 people or 21.6%)
- Society and Culture (12,838 people or 9.9%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (11,215 people or 8.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 52,095 people in total or 40.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.1% in Management and Commerce; 8.8% in Society and Culture and 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Northern Beaches Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (21.6% compared to 17.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (8.6% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (4.8% compared to 3.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (5.6% compared to 4.4%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Northern Beaches Council area increased by 8,068 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Northern Beaches Council area was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+3,467 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+1,963 resident workers)
- Architecture and Building (+1,007 resident workers)
- Creative Arts (+981 resident workers)