Northern Beaches Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the Northern Beaches Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Northern Beaches Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Northern Beaches Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||14,707||11.3||12.7||14,461||11.9||13.2||+246||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,241||9.4||10.4||10,702||8.8||9.5||+1,539||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||17,482||13.5||13.8||18,191||15.0||15.1||-709||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,557||2.7||6.1||3,516||2.9||6.4||+41||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,108||1.6||1.8||1,986||1.6||1.8||+122||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Northern Beaches Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (37,085 people or 28.6%)
- Managers (24,080 people or 18.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (17,482 people or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 78,647 people in total or 60.6% of the resident workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers; and 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the Northern Beaches Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (18.6% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (28.6% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (5.1% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.7% compared to 6.1%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Northern Beaches Council area increased by 8,044 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Northern Beaches Council area were for those employed as:
- Managers (+3,005 people)
- Professionals (+2,878 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,539 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-709 people)