In the NSROC Region, Information Media and Telecommunications had the largest total exports by industry, generating $10,676 million in 2018/19.
Exports by industry are sales of goods and services to non-resident households, businesses and other organisations, outside the NSROC Region boundaries. Exports (domestic) include all exports from the area to other parts of Australia. Exports (international) includes all exports from the Region to countries outside Australia.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, export data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Total exports by industry sector|
|Industry||$m||%||New South Wales||$m||%||New South Wales||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||85.1||0.2||3.3||112.2||0.3||4.1||-27.1|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||594.1||1.2||2.4||550.5||1.3||3.2||+43.6|
|Accommodation and Food Services||498.6||1.0||3.0||453.5||1.1||2.8||+45.0|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||907.6||1.8||8.2||875.7||2.1||8.8||+31.9|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||10,676.2||21.1||6.3||8,439.1||19.9||5.6||+2,237.1|
|Financial and Insurance Services||5,070.4||10.0||16.8||3,744.8||8.8||15.7||+1,325.7|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||612.4||1.2||1.4||387.2||0.9||0.7||+225.2|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||9,739.5||19.3||9.2||7,837.3||18.5||7.5||+1,902.2|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,415.4||2.8||2.8||1,481.1||3.5||3.0||-65.8|
|Public Administration and Safety||604.6||1.2||4.5||664.7||1.6||5.0||-60.1|
|Education and Training||2,004.7||4.0||3.8||1,459.6||3.4||3.3||+545.1|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,905.2||5.8||4.1||2,192.5||5.2||3.5||+712.7|
|Arts and Recreation Services||498.9||1.0||1.4||456.1||1.1||1.5||+42.8|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the total exports by industry sectors in the NSROC Region in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Information Media and Telecommunications (10,676 million or 21.1%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (9,740 million or 19.3%)
- Manufacturing (6,236 million or 12.3%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 26,652 million in total or 52.8% of the total exports by industry in the the NSROC Region.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in New South Wales accounted for 6.3% in Information Media and Telecommunications; 9.2% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services and 15.7% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the total exports by industries of the NSROC Region and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of total exports by Information Media and Telecommunications (21.1% compared to 6.3%)
- A larger percentage of total exports by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (19.3% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of total exports by Financial and Insurance Services (10.0% compared to 16.8%)
- A smaller percentage of total exports by Transport, Postal and Warehousing (1.8% compared to 8.2%)
The total total exports by industry in the NSROC Region $increased by 8,059 million between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the total exports by industries between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the NSROC Region were for:
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$2,237 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$1,902 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$1,326 million)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$713 million)