City of Salisbury
About the area
The City of Salisbury is located in Adelaide's northern suburbs, about 25 kilometres from the Adelaide CBD. The City of Salisbury is bounded by the City of Playford in the north, the City of Tea Tree Gully in the east, the City of Port Adelaide Enfield in the south and Gulf St Vincent in the west.
Included AreasThe City of Salisbury includes the suburbs and localities of Bolivar, Brahma Lodge, Burton, Cavan, Direk, Dry Creek (part), Edinburgh, Elizabeth Vale (part), Globe Derby Park, Green Fields, Gulfview Heights, Ingle Farm, Mawson Lakes, Para Hills, Para Hills West, Para Vista, Parafield, Parafield Gardens, Paralowie, Pooraka, Salisbury, Salisbury Downs, Salisbury East (part), Salisbury Heights, Salisbury North, Salisbury Park, Salisbury Plain, Salisbury South, St Kilda (part), Valley View (part), Walkley Heights (part) and Waterloo Corner (part).
Land UseThe City of Salisbury is predominantly a residential area but also has substantial industrial, commercial and rural areas. The City of Salisbury encompasses a total land area of about 160 square kilometres, including an airport, and many parks, reserves, walking trails and wetlands. Horticultural enterprises (mainly vegetable growing) are located on the western fringes of the urban development. In more recent years Salisbury has become known for its industry, technology and environmental endeavours. It has gained international recognition for developing wetlands technology, especially at Parafield Airport and Edinburgh.
Name OriginThe City of Salisbury is named after a town in Wiltshire, England.
Indigenous MeaningThe original inhabitants of the City of Salisbury were the Kaurna Aboriginal people.
SettlementEuropean settlement of the area dates from the 1840s. Land was first purchased in 1847 with the township of Salisbury established in 1848 when allotments were sold. The railway was built in 1856. By 1881 the population was about 500 people and the area was predominantly a farming community (oranges, wheat, hay, dairy produce, flour mills and windmill making). The population in 1933 was over 2,300. Little growth occurred until the 1940s when a munitions factory and the Edinburgh Air Force Base were established and many houses were built to accommodate the workers. By 1947 the population had grown to over 4,000. Steady growth occurred from the 1950s, assisted by the South Australian Housing Trust development at Salisbury North. Significant development occurred in the 1960s and 1970s when the South Australian Housing Trust constructed a large number of houses at Ingle Farm and Parafield Gardens, and a large number of British migrants were attracted by the prospect of good jobs and low-cost housing. The population in 1981 was over 86,000. Population growth has continued at a steady but slower rate from the 1980s. The enumerated population has increased gradually since the 1990s, rising from about 106,000 in 1991 to nearly 137,000 in 2016.
Major FeaturesMajor features of the City include RAAF Base Edinburgh, University of South Australia (Mawson Lakes Campus), TAFE SA (Parafield and Salisbury Campuses), Calvary Central Districts Hospital, The Adelaide Planetarium, the Salisbury Town Centre, Parabanks Shopping Centre, St Kilda Tramway Museum, St Kilda Adventure Playground, Globe Derby Park (harness racing), Cobbler Creek Recreation Park, Dry Creek Linear Park, Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary National Park, and several lakes, wetlands and golf courses.
TransportThe City of Salisbury is served by Port Wakefield Road, Main North Road, Parafield Airport and the Gawler railway line.