City of Wyndham
Employment by industry (FTE)
In the City of Wyndham, Transport, Postal and Warehousing is the largest employer, generating 11,386 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Wyndham.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of City of Wyndham's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Wyndham||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2013/14 to 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,124||1.6||3.2||858||1.6||3.6||+265||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||662||1.0||1.4||399||0.7||1.4||+263||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,723||4.0||5.2||2,307||4.3||5.2||+416||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||11,386||16.6||5.8||9,372||17.3||5.6||+2,014||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||379||0.6||2.2||390||0.7||2.3||-11||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||565||0.8||4.0||472||0.9||4.3||+93||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,082||1.6||1.7||831||1.5||1.6||+251||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,457||3.6||10.1||1,718||3.2||9.5||+739||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,199||3.2||3.2||1,434||2.7||3.0||+766||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,483||5.1||5.5||2,755||5.1||5.3||+728||24400||P|
|Education and Training||6,020||8.8||7.8||4,382||8.1||7.7||+1,638||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,331||9.2||11.4||4,324||8.0||10.5||+2,007||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||726||1.1||1.9||555||1.0||1.7||+171||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in City of Wyndham in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (11,386 full-time equivalent local workers or 16.6%)
- Retail Trade (8,541 full-time equivalent local workers or 12.4%)
- Manufacturing (7,771 full-time equivalent local workers or 11.3%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 27,698 people in total or 40.4% of local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 5.8% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing; 8.9% in Retail Trade; and 9.1% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Wyndham and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (16.6% compared to 5.8%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (12.4% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.6% compared to 10.1%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Financial and Insurance Services (0.8% compared to 4.0%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in the City of Wyndham increased by 14,566 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the City of Wyndham were for those employed in:
- Retail Trade (+2,695 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+2,014 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,007 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+1,638 full-time equivalent local workers)