Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Wyndham will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Wyndham;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Wyndham - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||7,195||11.6||13.1||6,432||13.3||13.8||+763|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,879||11.1||10.6||4,333||8.9||9.3||+2,546|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||7,147||11.5||13.3||6,206||12.8||14.4||+941|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||9,987||16.1||5.8||7,340||15.1||6.1||+2,647|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,138||1.8||1.7||1,104||2.3||2.2||+34|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Wyndham in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (9,987 local workers or 16.1%)
- Professionals (9,781 local workers or 15.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (7,195 local workers or 11.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 26,963 people in total or 43.6% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 5.8% as Machinery Operators And Drivers; 23.2% as Professionals and 13.1% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Wyndham and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (16.1% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (15.8% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (10.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.5% compared to 13.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Wyndham between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+2,647 local workers)
- Professionals (+2,613 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+2,546 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+1,423 local workers)