City of Wyndham
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the City of Wyndham’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Wyndham residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Wyndham, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Wyndham are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Wyndham||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||737||0.7||2.2||473||0.6||2.3||+264||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,313||1.3||1.1||799||1.0||1.1||+514||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,938||6.0||6.6||4,195||5.4||6.1||+1,743||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||9,951||10.1||4.8||6,960||9.0||4.7||+2,991||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||2,073||2.1||1.9||1,588||2.1||2.0||+485||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,790||4.9||3.9||3,866||5.0||4.1||+924||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,523||1.5||1.6||1,103||1.4||1.4||+420||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||6,659||6.8||7.9||4,939||6.4||7.8||+1,720||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,741||3.8||3.4||3,033||3.9||3.3||+708||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,521||5.6||5.3||4,820||6.2||5.3||+701||39000||P|
|Education and Training||6,430||6.5||8.6||4,494||5.8||8.0||+1,936||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||10,839||11.0||12.5||7,188||9.3||11.6||+3,651||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,754||1.8||1.9||1,445||1.9||1.7||+309||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||4,944||5.0||4.7||1,870||2.4||2.4||+3,074||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Wyndham in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (10,839 people or 11.0%)
- Retail Trade (10,084 people or 10.2%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (9,951 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 30,874 people in total or 31.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.2% in Retail Trade; and 4.8% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Wyndham and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (10.1% compared to 4.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (6.5% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (11.0% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.7% compared to 2.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Wyndham were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+3,651 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+3,074 resident workforce)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+2,991 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,936 resident workforce)