Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Campbelltown City's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Campbelltown City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Campbelltown City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Campbelltown City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Campbelltown City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||219||0.3||2.1||174||0.2||2.1||+45|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||690||1.0||0.9||730||1.0||1.0||-40|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,327||6.3||7.1||3,848||5.5||6.3||+479|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,605||8.1||4.7||5,528||7.9||4.6||+77|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||988||1.4||2.2||1,042||1.5||2.2||-54|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,062||4.4||4.9||2,911||4.1||4.8||+151|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||979||1.4||1.8||899||1.3||1.5||+80|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,279||4.8||8.1||2,911||4.1||7.4||+368|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,506||3.6||3.5||2,284||3.3||3.1||+222|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,262||6.2||6.0||4,168||5.9||5.8||+94|
|Education and Training||4,823||7.0||8.4||4,404||6.3||7.5||+419|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||8,543||12.4||12.5||7,024||10.0||10.9||+1,519|
|Arts and Recreation Services||771||1.1||1.5||777||1.1||1.4||-6|
|Industry not classified||4,040||5.9||4.7||1,812||2.6||2.3||+2,228|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Campbelltown City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (8,543 people or 12.4%)
- Retail Trade (7,432 people or 10.8%)
- Manufacturing (6,493 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 22,468 people in total or 32.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 5.8% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Campbelltown City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (9.4% compared to 5.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (8.1% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.8% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.3% compared to 2.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Campbelltown City were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,587 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,228 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,519 resident workforce)
- Construction (+1,281 resident workforce)