Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Penrith City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Penrith City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Penrith City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Penrith City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||725||0.8||2.1||554||0.6||2.1||+171|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,349||1.4||0.9||1,317||1.4||1.0||+32|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,592||5.9||7.1||4,840||5.2||6.3||+752|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||6,714||7.1||4.7||6,430||7.0||4.6||+284|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,213||1.3||2.2||1,251||1.4||2.2||-38|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,061||4.3||4.9||3,794||4.1||4.8||+267|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,522||1.6||1.8||1,304||1.4||1.5||+218|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||4,092||4.3||8.1||3,582||3.9||7.4||+510|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,124||3.3||3.5||2,647||2.9||3.1||+477|
|Public Administration and Safety||6,735||7.1||6.0||6,467||7.0||5.8||+268|
|Education and Training||6,841||7.2||8.4||5,794||6.3||7.5||+1,047|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||10,384||10.9||12.5||8,866||9.6||10.9||+1,518|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,285||1.4||1.5||1,117||1.2||1.4||+168|
|Industry not classified||5,063||5.3||4.7||2,354||2.6||2.3||+2,709|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Penrith City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (11,045 people or 11.6%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (10,384 people or 10.9%)
- Retail Trade (10,012 people or 10.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 31,441 people in total or 33.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.4% in Construction; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Penrith City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.3% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.6% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (7.1% compared to 4.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (7.9% compared to 5.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Penrith City were for those employed in:
- Construction (+2,882 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-2,776 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,709 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,518 resident workforce)