Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Penrith City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||14,156||13.9||11.9||14,052||14.8||12.7||+104|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||11,257||11.0||10.6||9,947||10.5||10.4||+1,310|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||16,634||16.3||13.0||16,843||17.8||13.8||-209|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||11,355||11.1||6.0||10,285||10.8||6.1||+1,070|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,011||2.0||1.9||1,812||1.9||1.8||+199|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Penrith City in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (17,321 people or 17.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (16,634 people or 16.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (14,156 people or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 48,111 people in total or 47.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.8% in Professionals; 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 11.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Penrith City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (17.0% compared to 25.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.1% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (11.3% compared to 14.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (16.3% compared to 13.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Penrith City increased by 7,243 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Penrith City were those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,248 persons)
- Managers (+1,963 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,310 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+1,070 persons)