Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Penrith City across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2021|
|Penrith City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,265||10.5||10.8||7,855||11.5||10.8||+410|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,619||11.0||10.5||6,988||10.2||10.5||+1,631|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,848||10.0||10.0||7,417||10.8||10.5||+431|
|35 hours - 39 hours||17,015||21.7||20.4||14,211||20.7||19.1||+2,804|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,247||6.7||7.4||6,016||8.8||9.1||-769|
|49 hours or more||7,714||9.8||11.5||9,567||13.9||14.9||-1,853|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Penrith City in 2021compared to New South Wales within Penrith City shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 43.2% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 54.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales within Penrith City.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Penrith City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who did not work (11.7% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.7% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (16.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (9.8% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Penrith City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+7,059 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,804 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-1,853 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,631 local workers)