RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Employment by industry (FTE)
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
- Excel full
- Word full
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2019/20||2014/15||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||17,869||14.7||4.0||14,115||11.6||3.1||+3,754|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||3,444||2.8||1.4||2,830||2.3||1.6||+614|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,926||4.1||5.7||5,241||4.3||5.6||-314|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,557||4.6||5.7||7,086||5.8||6.0||-1,529|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||918||0.8||1.3||1,455||1.2||1.4||-537|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,289||1.9||2.6||2,092||1.7||2.5||+197|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,165||1.0||2.0||1,751||1.4||2.1||-586|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||5,801||4.8||7.7||4,611||3.8||7.8||+1,190|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,061||1.7||3.1||2,117||1.7||3.1||-56|
|Public Administration and Safety||6,747||5.6||6.7||7,914||6.5||6.9||-1,167|
|Education and Training||9,596||7.9||8.4||8,928||7.4||7.7||+667|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||15,110||12.4||12.6||12,316||10.1||11.5||+2,793|
|Arts and Recreation Services||851||0.7||1.5||1,005||0.8||1.5||-154|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2019/20 shows the three largest industries were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (17,869 people or 14.7%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (15,110 people or 12.4%)
- Construction (14,314 people or 11.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 47,293 people in total or 38.9% of the local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 4.0% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 12.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 11.1% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (14.7% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.8% compared to 7.7%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Accommodation and Food Services (4.1% compared to 5.7%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (2.8% compared to 1.4%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region increased by decreased by -34 between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were for those employed in:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (+3,754 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,793 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,190 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (+1,070 full-time equivalent local workers)