RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12,450||10.7||11.0||11,666||10.2||10.5||+784|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9,978||8.6||9.4||9,509||8.3||8.9||+469|
|25 hours - 34 hours||13,281||11.4||12.0||12,195||10.6||10.9||+1,086|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20,792||17.9||19.3||19,660||17.1||18.3||+1,132|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,732||9.2||9.4||11,188||9.7||10.6||-456|
|49 hours or more||25,137||21.6||16.4||26,337||22.9||18.5||-1,200|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region in 2016 compared to Queensland within the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.5% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 63.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.9% and 62.3% respectively for Queensland within the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.6% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.9% compared to 19.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (14.9% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (21.6% compared to 16.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,200 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,132 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,086 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+784 local workers)