Wagga Wagga City
Employment by industry (FTE)
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Wagga Wagga City.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Wagga Wagga City's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Wagga Wagga City||2019/20||2014/15||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,203||4.3||2.6||1,720||6.1||2.9||-516|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||382||1.4||1.2||314||1.1||1.2||+69|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,191||4.3||5.5||1,512||5.3||5.9||-320|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,145||4.1||5.7||1,682||5.9||5.9||-537|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||278||1.0||2.2||344||1.2||2.5||-66|
|Financial and Insurance Services||647||2.3||5.6||465||1.6||5.3||+182|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||272||1.0||1.8||373||1.3||2.0||-101|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,119||4.0||10.8||1,088||3.8||9.5||+32|
|Administrative and Support Services||613||2.2||3.0||648||2.3||3.0||-36|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,019||10.9||5.9||3,221||11.4||5.6||-202|
|Education and Training||2,730||9.8||7.5||2,512||8.9||7.5||+217|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,822||17.4||12.1||3,915||13.8||10.9||+907|
|Arts and Recreation Services||226||0.8||1.4||174||0.6||1.4||+52|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Wagga Wagga City in 2019/20 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,822 people or 17.4%)
- Construction (3,148 people or 11.3%)
- Public Administration and Safety (3,019 people or 10.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 10,989 people in total or 39.6% of the local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.6% in Construction and 5.9% in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.0% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (17.4% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Public Administration and Safety (10.9% compared to 5.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.3% compared to 5.6%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in Wagga Wagga City increased by decreased by -561 between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in Wagga Wagga City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+907 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+217 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+182 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Other Services (+109 full-time equivalent local workers)