Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Wagga Wagga City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||8,758||25.7||38.4||6,948||22.7||32.6||+1,810|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,353||9.9||11.0||2,943||9.6||11.1||+410|
|Certificate I and II Level||579||1.7||1.2||555||1.8||1.2||+24|
|Certificate III & IV Level||8,664||25.5||18.1||7,895||25.8||18.7||+769|
|Certificate Level, nfd||646||1.9||1.9||753||2.5||2.3||-107|
|Inadequately described or not stated||768||2.3||2.3||791||2.6||2.9||-23|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Wagga Wagga City in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 64.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.1% had no qualifications, compared with 70.7% and 27.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (25.7% compared to 38.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (25.5% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.1% compared to 27.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.9% compared to 11.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Wagga Wagga City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,810 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+769 local workers)
- No qualification (+557 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+410 local workers)