43.0% of the resident workers (All industries) in Wagga Wagga City work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Wagga Wagga City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Wagga Wagga City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Wagga Wagga City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,195||10.7||10.8||3,170||10.9||10.4||+25|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,688||9.0||10.4||2,441||8.4||9.7||+247|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,232||10.8||10.5||2,812||9.7||9.8||+420|
|35 hours - 39 hours||6,333||21.2||19.1||5,804||20.0||18.2||+529|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,844||9.5||9.1||3,101||10.7||10.0||-257|
|49 hours or more||4,580||15.3||14.9||4,758||16.4||16.4||-178|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Wagga Wagga City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 30.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 31.7% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.0% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.2% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.1% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.5% compared to 9.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Wagga Wagga City increased by 296 people (2.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Wagga Wagga City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+529 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+420 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-257 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+247 persons)