There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Hawkesbury City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Hawkesbury City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Hawkesbury City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Hawkesbury City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Hawkesbury City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||436||1.3||2.1||407||1.3||2.0||+29|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||4,294||13.3||10.4||4,361||14.0||10.8||-67|
|Architecture and Building||2,279||7.0||4.4||1,879||6.0||4.1||+400|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||753||2.3||1.5||677||2.2||1.5||+76|
|Management and Commerce||3,928||12.1||17.1||3,469||11.1||15.5||+459|
|Society and Culture||2,332||7.2||8.8||1,802||5.8||7.6||+530|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,201||3.7||3.3||1,071||3.4||3.2||+130|
|Mixed Field Programmes||22||0.1||0.1||16||0.1||0.1||+6|
|Not stated or inadequately described||862||2.7||2.7||1,121||3.6||3.5||-259|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Hawkesbury City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (4,294 people or 13.3%)
- Management and Commerce (3,928 people or 12.1%)
- Society and Culture (2,332 people or 7.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 10,554 people in total or 32.6% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 17.1% in Management and Commerce and 8.8% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Hawkesbury City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.1% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (13.3% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (7.0% compared to 4.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (1.1% compared to 3.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Hawkesbury City increased by 1,165 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Hawkesbury City was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+530 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+459 resident workers)
- Architecture and Building (+400 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-259 resident workers)