Construction employs more of Hawkesbury City's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Hawkesbury City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Hawkesbury City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Hawkesbury City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Hawkesbury City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||931||2.9||2.1||837||2.6||2.1||+94|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||419||1.3||0.9||380||1.2||1.0||+39|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,715||5.3||7.1||1,604||4.9||6.3||+111|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,496||4.6||4.7||1,507||4.6||4.6||-11|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||474||1.5||2.2||504||1.5||2.2||-30|
|Financial and Insurance Services||735||2.3||4.9||741||2.3||4.8||-6|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||503||1.6||1.8||472||1.4||1.5||+31|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,474||4.6||8.1||1,397||4.3||7.4||+77|
|Administrative and Support Services||945||2.9||3.5||820||2.5||3.1||+125|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,301||7.1||6.0||2,629||8.0||5.8||-328|
|Education and Training||2,762||8.5||8.4||2,546||7.8||7.5||+216|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||3,189||9.9||12.5||2,878||8.8||10.9||+311|
|Arts and Recreation Services||566||1.8||1.5||485||1.5||1.4||+81|
|Industry not classified||1,744||5.4||4.7||724||2.2||2.3||+1,020|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Hawkesbury City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (4,910 people or 15.2%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (3,189 people or 9.9%)
- Retail Trade (3,080 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 11,179 people in total or 34.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.4% in Construction; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Hawkesbury City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (15.2% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.6% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.3% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (9.9% compared to 12.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Hawkesbury City were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,020 resident workforce)
- Construction (+996 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-973 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-483 resident workforce)