In Hawkesbury City, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Hawkesbury City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||4,552||18.9||32.6||3,908||16.7||27.9||+644|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,595||10.8||11.1||2,143||9.2||10.5||+452|
|Certificate I and II Level||344||1.4||1.2||390||1.7||1.4||-46|
|Certificate III & IV Level||6,412||26.6||18.7||5,903||25.2||18.8||+509|
|Certificate Level, nfd||570||2.4||2.3||432||1.8||1.9||+138|
|Inadequately described or not stated||697||2.9||2.9||1,125||4.8||4.5||-428|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Hawkesbury City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.1% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.0% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Hawkesbury City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (18.9% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (26.6% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (37.0% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.8% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Hawkesbury City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+644 local workers)
- No qualification (-562 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+509 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+452 local workers)