Inner West Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
50.6% of the resident workers in the Inner West Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Inner West Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Inner West Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Inner West Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,234||8.3||10.8||7,394||8.0||10.4||+840||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9,782||9.8||10.4||8,599||9.3||9.7||+1,183||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,373||9.4||10.5||8,205||8.9||9.8||+1,168||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||17,425||17.5||19.1||15,943||17.2||18.2||+1,482||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||11,203||11.3||9.1||11,221||12.1||10.0||-18||22007|
|49 hours or more||17,398||17.5||14.9||17,168||18.6||16.4||+230||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Inner West Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 30.4% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 68.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Inner West Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (17.5% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (11.3% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (21.9% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (8.3% compared to 10.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Inner West Council area increased by 4,481 people (7.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Inner West Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+2,787 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,482 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,183 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,168 people)