In Maribyrnong City, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 6,031 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Maribyrnong City.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Maribyrnong City's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Industry||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||135||0.4||3.2||96||0.3||3.6||+39|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,120||2.9||1.4||474||1.4||1.4||+646|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,185||5.7||5.2||1,741||5.0||5.2||+445|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||3,718||9.7||5.8||2,933||8.5||5.6||+785|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||491||1.3||2.2||583||1.7||2.3||-91|
|Financial and Insurance Services||603||1.6||4.0||509||1.5||4.3||+93|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||563||1.5||1.7||592||1.7||1.6||-28|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,732||4.5||10.1||1,461||4.2||9.5||+270|
|Administrative and Support Services||875||2.3||3.2||735||2.1||3.0||+140|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,871||4.9||5.5||1,543||4.5||5.3||+328|
|Education and Training||3,576||9.3||7.8||3,483||10.1||7.7||+92|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,031||15.8||11.4||5,186||15.0||10.5||+845|
|Arts and Recreation Services||701||1.8||1.9||622||1.8||1.7||+78|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Maribyrnong City in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,031 people or 15.8%)
- Retail Trade (5,063 people or 13.2%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (3,718 people or 9.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 14,812 people in total or 38.7% of the local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 11.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.9% in Retail Trade and 5.8% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.5% compared to 10.1%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Construction (5.9% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.8% compared to 11.4%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (13.2% compared to 8.9%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in Maribyrnong City increased by increased by 3,715 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in Maribyrnong City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+845 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+785 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (+646 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Wholesale Trade (+521 full-time equivalent local workers)