In Maribyrnong City, 22.6% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.2% in Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Maribyrnong City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Maribyrnong City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Maribyrnong City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,777||10.1||13.1||3,636||10.9||13.8||+141|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,467||12.0||10.6||3,446||10.3||9.3||+1,021|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,344||11.7||13.3||4,041||12.1||14.4||+303|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,881||7.7||5.8||3,099||9.3||6.1||-218|
|Inadequately described or not stated||699||1.9||1.7||767||2.3||2.2||-68|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Maribyrnong City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (8,407 local workers or 22.6%)
- Sales Workers (5,219 local workers or 14.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,467 local workers or 12.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 18,093 people in total or 48.5% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 9.7% as Sales Workers and 10.6% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (14.0% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.1% compared to 13.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (7.7% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (11.7% compared to 13.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Maribyrnong City between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,021 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+1,009 local workers)
- Professionals (+833 local workers)
- Labourers (+455 local workers)