Imports by industry are sales of goods and services from industries located outside Maribyrnong City Plains boundaries to resident households, businesses and other organisations within the area. Imports (domestic) includes all imports from other parts of Australia to the Region.Imports (international) includes the value of all imports to the area from outside Australia.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, import data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Industry||$m||%||Victoria||$m||%||Victoria||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||374.7||9.0||4.7||354.7||8.8||4.6||+20.0|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||153.9||3.7||4.1||152.4||3.8||4.0||+1.4|
|Accommodation and Food Services||61.6||1.5||1.5||81.3||2.0||2.3||-19.7|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||165.6||4.0||4.8||300.8||7.4||7.6||-135.3|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||171.6||4.1||3.5||161.6||4.0||3.3||+10.0|
|Financial and Insurance Services||504.0||12.1||9.4||454.0||11.2||9.2||+50.0|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||8.5||0.2||0.5||13.9||0.3||0.6||-5.5|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||374.8||9.0||6.5||314.1||7.8||5.7||+60.7|
|Administrative and Support Services||124.3||3.0||1.5||109.6||2.7||1.8||+14.7|
|Public Administration and Safety||262.5||6.3||7.1||154.4||3.8||5.5||+108.1|
|Education and Training||61.9||1.5||4.3||47.6||1.2||3.5||+14.4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||83.5||2.0||6.4||66.0||1.6||4.8||+17.5|
|Arts and Recreation Services||50.9||1.2||1.1||51.5||1.3||1.6||-0.6|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2019/20 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the total imports by industry sectors in Maribyrnong City in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Manufacturing ($1,480 million or 35.6%)
- Financial and Insurance Services ($504 million or 12.1%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($375 million or 9.0%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $2,359 million in total or 56.7% of the total imports by industry in the Maribyrnong City.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Victoria accounted for 34.0% in Manufacturing; 9.4% in Financial and Insurance Services and 6.5% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between total imports by industries of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of total imports by Health Care and Social Assistance (2.0% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of total imports by Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (9.0% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of total imports by Education and Training (1.5% compared to 4.3%)
- A larger percentage of total imports by Financial and Insurance Services (12.1% compared to 9.4%)
The total total imports by industry in Maribyrnong City increased by $108 million between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the total imports by industries between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in Maribyrnong City were for:
- Manufacturing (+$116 million)
- Public Administration and Safety (+$108 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$61 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$50 million)