Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Maribyrnong City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||12,875||34.5||33.3||10,097||30.3||28.6||+2,778|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4,289||11.5||11.5||3,497||10.5||10.4||+792|
|Certificate I and II Level||366||1.0||1.0||379||1.1||1.1||-13|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,273||14.1||18.1||4,697||14.1||17.9||+576|
|Certificate Level, nfd||660||1.8||1.8||461||1.4||1.5||+199|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,072||2.9||2.8||1,428||4.3||4.0||-356|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Maribyrnong City in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 34.2% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (14.1% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (34.2% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (34.5% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (2.9% compared to 2.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Maribyrnong City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+2,778 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+792 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+576 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+199 local workers)