Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Maribyrnong City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||17,348||40.7||39.0||12,875||34.5||33.3||+4,473|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,025||11.8||11.5||4,289||11.5||11.5||+736|
|Certificate I and II Level||342||0.8||1.0||366||1.0||1.0||-24|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,600||13.1||17.1||5,273||14.1||18.1||+327|
|Certificate Level, nfd||683||1.6||1.5||660||1.8||1.8||+23|
|Inadequately described or not stated||919||2.2||2.2||1,072||2.9||2.8||-153|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Maribyrnong City in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 68.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 29.9% had no qualifications, compared with 70.1% and 27.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (13.1% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (29.9% compared to 27.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (40.7% compared to 39.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.8% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Maribyrnong City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,473 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+736 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+327 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (-24 local workers)