City of Canterbury Bankstown
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
Health Care and Social Assistance
The City of Canterbury Bankstown is named after the former Canterbury and Bankstown Cities. The former Canterbury City was named after an early property in the area, which in turn was named after a place in England. The former Bankstown City was named in honour of Sir Joseph Banks, the botanist.
Location and boundaries
The City of Canterbury Bankstown is located in Sydney’s south-western suburbs, between 8 and 23 kilometres south-west of the Sydney CBD. The City of Canterbury Bankstown is bounded by the Cumberland Council area, the Strathfield Council area and the Burwood Council area in the north, the Inner West Council area in the east, the Bayside Council area, the Georges River Council area and Sutherland Shire in the south, and Liverpool City and Fairfield City in the west.
The City of Canterbury Bankstown includes the suburbs of Ashbury (part), Bankstown, Bankstown Aerodrome, Bass Hill, Belfield (part), Belmore, Beverly Hills (part), Birrong, Campsie, Canterbury, Chester Hill (part), Chullora, Clemton Park, Condell Park, Croydon Park (part), Earlwood, East Hills, Georges Hall, Greenacre (part), Hurlstone Park (part), Kingsgrove (part), Lakemba, Lansdowne, Milperra, Mount Lewis, Narwee (part), Padstow, Padstow Heights, Panania, Picnic Point, Potts Hill, Punchbowl, Regents Park (part), Revesby, Revesby Heights, Riverwood (part), Roselands, Sefton, Villawood (part), Wiley Park and Yagoona.
The City of Canterbury Bankstown is a residential, commercial and industrial area. The City encompasses a total land area of 110 square kilometres.
The City of Canterbury Bankstown is served by the Hume Highway, the South Western Motorway, Bankstown Airport, and the Bankstown and East Hills railway lines.
European settlement dates from the late 1700s when the first land grants were made to marines, free settlers and convicts. Land was used mainly for timber-getting, farming, market gardening and grazing. Development increased after the Great South Road (today’s Hume Highway) was completed in 1814, and then again after 1831 when settlement spread along the Cooks River, with roads and crossings made in several places. In 1841 the Australian Sugar Company built a sugar mill near the Cooks River to produce molasses and spirits. Other industries and trades such as boiling down works and tanneries were built along the river later. Development was slow until the 1880s, due largely to a lack of public transport and good roads and bridges. Population growth took place from the late 1800s, as railway lines were opened and land was subdivided, particularly in the areas closest to Sydney. Rapid growth took place from the early 1900s to the 1930s, spurred by improved access and the development of essential services. During World War II, significant aircraft and armaments operations were established at Bankstown Airport and the suburb of Villawood. Significant residential and industrial development occurred during the post-war years, with growth spreading southwards and westwards. The population of the City increased from about 142,000 in 1947 to about 267,000 in 1961, and then to about 293,000 in 1971. The population then declined slightly, falling to 280,000 in 1981. The population was relatively stable during the 1980s, then increased slightly to about 283,000 in 1991. The population continued to increase from the 1990s, with the most rapid growth from 2006. Growth in recent years has largely been from infill development (medium density housing) and town centre development in the Bankstown CBD.
The original inhabitants of the City of Canterbury Bankstown were the Bidjigal, Dharug and Gweagal Aboriginal people.