City of Canterbury Bankstown
Resident workers - Hours worked
39.6% of the resident workers in City of Canterbury Bankstown work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Canterbury Bankstown's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Canterbury Bankstown depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Canterbury Bankstown||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||14,850||10.7||10.8||12,052||9.7||10.4||+2,798||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||15,613||11.3||10.4||12,544||10.1||9.7||+3,069||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||14,378||10.4||10.5||12,153||9.8||9.8||+2,225||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||30,892||22.4||19.1||27,296||21.9||18.2||+3,596||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,793||7.8||9.1||10,665||8.6||10.0||+128||22007|
|49 hours or more||14,724||10.7||14.9||14,661||11.8||16.4||+63||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by City of Canterbury Bankstown's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.1% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of City of Canterbury Bankstown and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.4% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (21.1% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.7% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.8% compared to 9.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in City of Canterbury Bankstown increased by 6,426 people (8.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in City of Canterbury Bankstown between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,596 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+3,069 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+2,798 people)
- 40 hours (+2,639 people)