City of Canterbury Bankstown
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In City of Canterbury Bankstown, 18.1% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.6% in New South Wales.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in City of Canterbury Bankstown will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Canterbury Bankstown;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Canterbury Bankstown - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||13,048||13.8||12.7||13,412||15.0||13.2||-364|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||10,253||10.8||10.4||7,823||8.8||9.5||+2,430|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||13,171||13.9||13.8||13,273||14.9||15.0||-102|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||9,424||9.9||6.1||9,071||10.1||6.4||+353|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,105||2.2||1.8||1,979||2.2||1.8||+126|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in City of Canterbury Bankstown in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (17,185 local workers or 18.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (13,171 local workers or 13.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (13,048 local workers or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 43,404 people in total or 45.8% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 13.8% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 12.7% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in City of Canterbury Bankstown and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (18.1% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.9% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (11.3% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (10.2% compared to 8.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in City of Canterbury Bankstown between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+2,430 local workers)
- Professionals (+1,567 local workers)
- Labourers (+605 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+475 local workers)