City of Canterbury Bankstown
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of City of Canterbury Bankstown’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which City of Canterbury Bankstown residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in City of Canterbury Bankstown, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in City of Canterbury Bankstown are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Canterbury Bankstown||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||251||0.2||2.1||124||0.1||2.2||+127||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||853||0.6||0.9||961||0.8||1.1||-108||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||10,053||7.3||7.1||8,873||7.1||6.7||+1,180||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||10,590||7.7||4.7||10,145||8.1||4.9||+445||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||2,729||2.0||2.2||2,685||2.2||2.3||+44||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||6,917||5.0||4.9||6,445||5.2||5.0||+472||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,095||1.5||1.8||1,765||1.4||1.6||+330||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||8,759||6.3||8.1||7,397||5.9||7.9||+1,362||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||5,456||3.9||3.5||4,499||3.6||3.3||+957||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||6,974||5.0||6.0||6,549||5.3||6.1||+425||39000||P|
|Education and Training||10,028||7.3||8.4||7,983||6.4||7.9||+2,045||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||14,976||10.8||12.5||12,371||9.9||11.6||+2,605||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,900||1.4||1.5||1,623||1.3||1.5||+277||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||9,038||6.5||4.7||4,359||3.5||2.5||+4,679||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Canterbury Bankstown in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (14,976 people or 10.8%)
- Retail Trade (14,416 people or 10.4%)
- Construction (13,114 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 42,506 people in total or 30.8% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade; and 8.4% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of City of Canterbury Bankstown and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (7.7% compared to 4.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Industry not classified (6.5% compared to 4.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.2% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (6.3% compared to 8.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in City of Canterbury Bankstown were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+4,679 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-3,618 resident workforce)
- Construction (+3,112 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,605 resident workforce)