City of Mandurah
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
Mandurah is named from an Aboriginal word meaning "the meeting place".
Location and boundaries
The City of Mandurah is located just south of the Perth metropolitan area, between 55 and 85 kilometres south of the Perth CBD. The City of Mandurah is bounded by the City of Rockingham in the north, the Shire of Murray, the Serpentine River and Harvey Estuary in the east, the Shire of Waroona in the south, and the Indian Ocean in the west.
The City of Mandurah includes the suburbs of Bouvard, Clifton, Coodanup, Dawesville, Dudley Park, Erskine, Falcon, Greenfields, Halls Head, Herron, Lakelands, Madora Bay, Mandurah, Meadow Springs, Parklands, San Remo, Silver Sands and Wannanup.
The City of Mandurah is a rapidly developing residential area. The City encompasses a total land area of about 174 square kilometres, including substantial waterways, coastline and bushland.
The City of Mandurah is served by the Mandurah railway line.
European settlement dates from the 1830s when Thomas Peel and a number of pioneers set up in what is now Mandurah. Population was minimal until 1850 when a road was built to the region and a ferry across the estuary opened. Early industries included fishing, fruit growing and canning. Some growth took place from the late 1800s. From early 1900s, the area became renowned as a holiday destination, and tourism became an important contributor to the local economy. Significant residential development occurred during the immediate post-war years, particularly in holiday dwellings. More substantial growth took place from the 1970s, especially in permanent dwellings. Rapid growth continued from the early 1990s, with the population of the City increasing from under 27,000 in 1991 to nearly 67,000 in 2011. Population growth is expected to continue.
The original inhabitants of the Mandurah area were the Bibbulmun Aboriginal people.