There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in Sutherland Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Sutherland Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Sutherland Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Sutherland Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Sutherland Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,326||2.1||2.1||2,115||1.9||2.0||+211|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||13,492||12.0||10.4||14,273||12.9||10.8||-781|
|Architecture and Building||6,410||5.7||4.4||5,711||5.2||4.1||+699|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,158||1.0||1.5||1,111||1.0||1.5||+47|
|Management and Commerce||20,777||18.4||17.1||18,905||17.1||15.5||+1,872|
|Society and Culture||9,377||8.3||8.8||7,741||7.0||7.6||+1,636|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||3,601||3.2||3.3||3,413||3.1||3.2||+188|
|Mixed Field Programmes||76||0.1||0.1||57||0.1||0.1||+19|
|Not stated or inadequately described||2,425||2.2||2.7||3,378||3.1||3.5||-953|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Sutherland Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (20,777 people or 18.4%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (13,492 people or 12.0%)
- Society and Culture (9,377 people or 8.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 43,646 people in total or 38.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.1% in Management and Commerce; 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 8.8% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.0% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (6.8% compared to 5.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (18.4% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (5.7% compared to 4.4%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Sutherland Shire increased by 2,299 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Sutherland Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,872 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+1,636 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-953 resident workers)
- Health (+866 resident workers)