Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|Sutherland Shire - Constant prices||2021/22||2016/17||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||New South Wales||$m||%||New South Wales||2016/17 - 2021/22|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||126.9||0.8||2.1||66.4||0.4||1.7||+60.5|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||332.4||2.0||2.8||286.4||1.9||3.0||+46.1|
|Accommodation and Food Services||598.4||3.6||2.9||553.1||3.7||2.6||+45.3|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||620.6||3.8||4.2||573.9||3.8||4.6||+46.7|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||300.2||1.8||3.3||163.3||1.1||2.4||+136.9|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,022.0||6.2||6.6||937.0||6.2||6.5||+85.0|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,318.8||8.0||8.9||1,307.4||8.6||9.9||+11.4|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,548.9||9.4||10.1||1,382.3||9.1||9.1||+166.6|
|Administrative and Support Services||586.5||3.6||4.3||534.9||3.5||4.0||+51.6|
|Public Administration and Safety||514.0||3.1||4.1||494.8||3.3||3.8||+19.2|
|Education and Training||782.2||4.8||4.1||732.6||4.8||4.1||+49.6|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,451.2||8.8||6.6||1,177.4||7.8||5.7||+273.7|
|Arts and Recreation Services||216.7||1.3||1.0||196.9||1.3||0.9||+19.7|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2022. ©2023. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2020/21 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in Sutherland Shire in 2021/22 shows the three largest industries were:
- Construction ($3,312million or 20.2%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($1,549million or 9.4%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance ($1,451million or 8.8%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $6,312 million in total or 38.5% of the total local sales by total industry in the Sutherland Shire.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in New South Wales accounted for 20.3% in Construction; 10.1% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services and 6.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between local sales by industries of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Retail Trade (7.3% compared to 5.0%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Health Care and Social Assistance (8.8% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Information Media and Telecommunications (1.8% compared to 3.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.8% compared to 2.1%)
The total local sales by industry in Sutherland Shire $increased by 1,260 million between 2016/17 and 2021/22.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2016/17 and 2021/22 in Sutherland Shire were for:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$274 million)
- Construction (+$246 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$167 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$137 million)