Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Sutherland Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||15,190||13.5||12.7||15,330||13.9||13.2||-140|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||11,831||10.5||10.4||10,815||9.8||9.5||+1,016|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||18,810||16.7||13.8||20,332||18.4||15.1||-1,522|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||4,339||3.8||6.1||4,402||4.0||6.4||-63|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,775||1.6||1.8||1,625||1.5||1.8||+150|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Sutherland Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (27,076 people or 24.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (18,810 people or 16.7%)
- Managers (16,972 people or 15.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 62,858 people in total or 55.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (5.4% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (16.7% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.8% compared to 6.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (15.1% compared to 13.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Sutherland Shire increased by 2,277 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Sutherland Shire were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,696 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-1,522 persons)
- Managers (+1,211 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,016 persons)