Resident workers - Hours worked
47.3% of the resident workers in Sutherland Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Sutherland Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Sutherland Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12,390||11.0||10.8||12,018||10.9||10.4||+372||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||11,934||10.6||10.4||11,444||10.4||9.7||+490||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||11,469||10.2||10.5||10,374||9.4||9.8||+1,095||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||18,339||16.3||19.1||17,366||15.7||18.2||+973||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||11,379||10.1||9.1||11,770||10.7||10.0||-391||22007|
|49 hours or more||18,424||16.3||14.9||19,049||17.2||16.4||-625||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Sutherland Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.3% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (10.1% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.9% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.3% compared to 19.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Sutherland Shire increased by 1,350 people (1.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Sutherland Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,393 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,095 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+973 people)
- None (-652 people)