Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Sutherland Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Sutherland Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Sutherland Shire Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12,755||10.9||10.8||12,390||11.0||10.8||+365|
|16 hours - 24 hours||12,918||11.0||10.4||11,934||10.6||10.4||+984|
|25 hours - 34 hours||11,070||9.4||10.0||11,469||10.2||10.5||-399|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20,844||17.7||20.4||18,339||16.3||19.1||+2,505|
|41 hours - 48 hours||9,115||7.8||7.4||11,379||10.1||9.1||-2,264|
|49 hours or more||14,208||12.1||11.5||18,424||16.3||14.9||-4,216|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Sutherland Shire's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (10.0% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.7% compared to 20.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.0% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (1.1% compared to 1.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Sutherland Shire decreased by 4088 people (-5.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Sutherland Shire between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+8,165 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-4,216 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,505 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-2,264 persons)