Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In Sutherland Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Sutherland Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||17,587||26.5||32.6||13,590||22.1||27.9||+3,997|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,501||12.8||11.1||7,308||11.9||10.5||+1,193|
|Certificate I and II Level||780||1.2||1.2||895||1.5||1.4||-115|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,468||20.3||18.7||12,691||20.6||18.8||+777|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,814||2.7||2.3||1,544||2.5||1.9||+270|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,909||2.9||2.9||3,035||4.9||4.5||-1,126|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Sutherland Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.7% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (26.5% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.7% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.8% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (20.3% compared to 18.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Sutherland Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,997 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,193 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+777 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+270 local workers)