Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Sutherland Shire - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||22,910||31.6||38.4||17,587||26.5||32.6||+5,323|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,480||13.1||11.0||8,501||12.8||11.1||+979|
|Certificate I and II Level||844||1.2||1.2||780||1.2||1.2||+64|
|Certificate III & IV Level||14,459||19.9||18.1||13,468||20.3||18.7||+991|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,840||2.5||1.9||1,814||2.7||2.3||+26|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,688||2.3||2.3||1,909||2.9||2.9||-221|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Sutherland Shire in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 68.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 29.4% had no qualifications, compared with 70.7% and 27.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (31.6% compared to 38.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (29.4% compared to 27.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (13.1% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (19.9% compared to 18.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Sutherland Shire between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+5,323 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,014 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+991 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+979 local workers)